Sunday, April 9, 2017

6 years and counting!

Recently at the end of March I reached my 6th year anniversary in business. I am completely amazed and proud of myself from where I have started to where I am now. Let me briefly fill everyone in on just how far I have progressed these past 6 years.

To begin, growing up photography was always very important to me, using my parents 110 cameras and then 35mm to photograph everything from nature to family portraits. In high school I took every photography class I could until graduation where I pursued photography at Broome Community College. After 2 years studying there and receiving my associates degree I moved on to Buffalo State College where I worked on my bachelor's degree in photography. Here is where I learned so much more about being in business and being a professional photographer. I had met so many fine art photographers and learned how to expand on creativity and technical skills. I had a job working in a slide library where I learned the true importance of preservation and later had an internship at CEPA Gallery. CEPA provided me with even more experience on the business and also more exposure to local artists. Both I was grateful for and learned so much from which would help shape my business in the future.

After graduating Buffalo State College in 2009 I began working for Olan Mills back near home in Sidney, NY. Here I learned more of the corporate, in studio experience. Although it was a great job where I met so many people and created regular customer accounts I still felt the need to expand and think "outside the box". In 2010 I decided to take the Entrepreneurship Assistance Program at Broome Community College. It was then that I had decided it was time to either go professional and do things the right way or keep photography as a hobby. Wow, long hours, days, dedication and zero social life I continued to work a full time job and work on the foundation of my business. I remember sleepless nights, crying in fear and risk of failing. However my husband (boyfriend at the time) and my family kept cheering me on and encouraging me to never give up.

On March 28, 2011 I went downtown and signed the paperwork and made things official. Kristys Imagination Photography was born! Who would have known my crazy journey would have led to this? Scared and praying I would not fail I just kept right on working hard on marketing, website design and Facebook as well. I started small working on just portrait sessions and eventually working into wedding photography and other events as well.

Well here we are 6 years later and I could not be more proud of myself. Each year business grows and customer feedback is great! Each year I book more weddings and events. I have the privilege to meet so many wonderful people and be a part of their important days and moments in their lives. My business has grown into a full time job providing professional portrait sessions, wedding and event photography and more. I am very fortunate that on my down days I still have the amazing support from my family and now husband, Eric who photographs right along side me. We have become an unstoppable team. The love and passion I have for photography will never die. The importance and need for it goes beyond just the "it's my job". Every moment, event and session is quick but the photographs are forever. I am able to capture the sincere moments of my customers lives that they will hold on to forever. Losing family members of my own it reminds me of the importance of those family portraits that we take on holidays and the time we spend together. It makes my job worth every second knowing I get to do this for each customer of mine.

So where do I see my business going? Well that is easy! I do not ever see myself setting the camera down. I absolutely love what I do! Engagement session season has just began and it is just awesome. I get to hear about everyone's wedding plans, ideas and to be a part is just awesome. To see the excitement about their big day and also the happiness and emotion when they see their pictures is worth all the hard work and long hours.

Photography has always been a huge part of my life and will continue to be that way. I will push myself to continue to grow and ensure the success of my business. However it is not just me who makes all this possible, it is you as well! Thank you to my family, husband and all my customers! You are all truly awesome and I would not be writing this today if it weren't for you!

Thank you! Here is to another 40 plus years!


No comments:

Post a Comment